Fiber Arts & Furry Critters

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I've spent half the afternoon fiddling with my Blogger template because my archives were not all showing up in the drop-down menu. It should be working fine now. It's difficult to get everything moved over to a new template, though! Thank goodness I've learned enough to know that I need to save the text of the old template before installing a new one! I love the colors on this one, too!

Yesterday I managed to get a little work done on my lace piece. I'm working this piece as my entry for the Heartland Lace Guild's 3 Yards Club Challenge. This will be a Novice level piece. I don't think I've touched it since early October, when I spent an entire afternoon straightening out the mistakes I made while demonstrating at the Deerfield Fair. If you click on the big picture, you'll get a close-up picture of the lace that opens up in its own window (at least, that's how it should work!)



Below is a picture of what I've accomplished so far today. Again, this is from the Deerfield Fair. This is the gray romney I was using to demonstrate handcarding and spinning. I finally got around to plying it up - or starting to, anyway! This skein is 4.74 oz, and approximately 339 yards - or somewhere around 1100 ypp (yards per pound). This is about a third of what I need to ply up, and that's only about half of this fleece. I still need to card and spin the other half. It does have the most fabulous gray color, though - absolutely no brown tips! I do love a seriously gray fleece! Again, if you click on the big picture, you'll get a close-up of part of the skein.



Oh, yesterday I also took apart the innards of the dishwasher, cleaned a good handful of calcium/lime build-up out of the inside, and re-assembled it. It's working much better now, and I'm sure I saved us a bundle in repair costs.

And here are some new pictures of the kitty. I had to work very hard to get these. Most of what I took came out blurry, as he was quite active at the time. We still haven't come up with a new name for him. I was leaning toward something Trek - perhaps Spock or Sarek. DH likes "Flash", because his coloring looks washed-out, as if a camera flash was aimed at his middle. The kids have a few other ideas, some quite strange. Yesterday I came up with "Stitch", after "Experiment 626" in "Lilo & Stitch". We also came up with "Bra'tac", after the Stargate character. I really like that one! Hopefully we'll reach a decision some day soon, even though I'll rarely call him anything besides "here, kitty, kitty, kitty!"


3 Comments:

  • Your lace is beautiful! The pop-up pic worked just fine.

    That new kitty looks very much like a lilac point Siamese that I once had. If he's like she was, he'll darken up over the next few months and not look so bleached out. Good luck with him! I just love meezers!

    By Blogger Mary, at 8:02 PM  

  • Your lace is beautiful, but I'm more interesting in the spinning. That gray is gorgeous! Just for curiosity's sake, how long does the spinning take you to get a skein that long? Just a rough estimate - I'm feeling like I go sooooo slooooowwww. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 PM  

  • I can't see the grey! I want to see the grey! (drumming hands and feet)

    Your kitten is adorable. Our foster dog plays like a kitten (lots of bouncing and pouncing and flinging of toys) but it's really not the same. Soft little bundles of silliness.

    By Blogger Wendy, at 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home